I made this delicious item last weekend. I brought it over to my parents house as a side to go with the steak and salad they made. And mmmmm, it was good, y’all. The recipe is from my Pioneer Woman Cookbook that my fave gal pal Katie gave me. I love that cookbook.
Makes 9 servings.
- 4 T of butter (1/2 stick)
- 5-6 medium russet potatoes OR 7-8 red potatoes (I used red)
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 c half-and-half
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (I used a white one)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz cream cheese, cubed, at room temperature
- salt and pepper
- 2 T minced rosemary leaves
- 3 green onions, with light green and medium green parts thinly sliced
- 1 c grated parmesan cheese
- 3 T minced chives
Feel free to skip through the picture demonstration to get straight to the listed directions.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 x 9 in baking dish using some of the butter you have set aside for the recipe.
Start slicing up those potatoes. It's okay to leave the skins on. The actual recipe called for russet potatoes, but I used red because I already had a ton on hand. And it turned out just fine, thank you very much.
Be sure to slice the potatoes super thin. They will be a lot more tender after you cook them if you do this. Place the sliced potatoes into your buttered baking dish. Add half-and-half and heavy cream to a mixing cup.
Drizzle half of the half-and-half/cream mixture evenly over the sliced potatoes. Set the other half of the mixture aside.
Get out a large skillet and start melting you butter. Once the butter has melted, throw in the diced onions and minced garlic. Stir around and cook until translucent, around 4 minutes.
Next add the cubed cream cheese and stir constantly for about 3 minutes or until smooth. Add remaining half-and-half/heavy cream mixture to the skillet. Stir it around a bit. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add minced rosemary, sliced green onions, and 1/2 c of the grated parmesan cheese to the skillet. Stir to combine.
Once you have everything all mixed up in your skillet, you can dump the whole mixture onto your sliced potatoes. Spread evenly around dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 c grated parmesan over the cream cheese mixture before popping it into the oven.
Bake uncovered for at least 1 hour. It should look bubbly and golden brown. After you remove it from the oven, let it sit for at least ten minutes and then sprinkle on the chives.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 x 9 in baking dish.
- Slice the potatoes very thinly. Place in buttered dish. Combine half-and-half and heavy cream in a measuring cup. Drizzle half of the mixture over the potatoes. Set other half of mixture aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add diced onion and minced garlic. Cook for about 4 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add cubed cream cheese to skillet and stir constantly until mixture is smooth. Pour in remaining half-and-half/heavy cream mixture and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in rosemary and green onions. Add 1/2 c of the grated parmesan cheese and stir until combined.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over potatoes and spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 c of parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake uncovered for at least 1 hour, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with minced chives.
- Serve with some type of meat and veggies. I had it with steak and salad the first night, tilapia and veggies the second, and chicken and veggies the third. All very good.