Mmmm... This stuff is good. Dulce de Leche is a thick, milk-based caramel sauce. It's really easy to make at home. All you need is a can of sweetened condensed milk. Pre-made dulce de leche can be found on the hispanic isle at most grocery stores. It is labeled as Cajeta.
I have used the pre-made kind before, but I think it's more fun to make your own. You can add it to all sorts of baked items. I'm going to use mine in some brownies.
Cook time: 3-4 hours
- 1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
Start by removing the wrapper off of the can of sweetened condensed milk.
Place the unwrapped can into a large pot. Fill the pot with water until it reaches at least one inch above the standing can.
Turn the heat to high until it begins to simmer. Adjust the heat to a lower temperature to maintain the simmering. I kept mine on medium-low heat. Allow the pot to simmer for 3-4 hours. Keep an eye on the water level and add more water as needed. *Do not let the water rise below the can- if this happens it might explode! :-/ Change the position of the can occasionally during the simmering process as shown in the above pictures.
Once the can has simmered for at least 3-4 hours, carefully remove it from the pot and place aside. Allow the can to cool completely before opening. I let mine sit overnight before I opened it.
1) Peel paper from sweetened condensed milk can. Place the unwrapped can into a large pot.
2) Fill the pot with enough water to stand at least one inch above the can. Turn the heat to high and wait for the water to begin simmering.
3) Adjust the heat to a lower setting in order to maintain constant simmering. Simmer uncovered for 3-4 hours, carefully rotating the can a few times during the process. *Add more water to the pot if necessary so that the water remains at least one inch above the can.
4) Once the cook time is up, carefully remove the can from the pot and set aside. Allow to cool completely before opening.
- Add a few dollops into brownie mix and swirl around for some super awesome brownies.
- Mix in with freshly brewed coffee and top with whipped cream.
- Use as a dip for fresh fruit.
- Mix in with your ice cream.