My boyfriend's mother made this recipe some time last year, which is the first time I had ever tried it. I loved it. I've made it a few times since that occasion. That was the first time I had ever tried clams, too. Don't worry, this soup doesn't have an overpowering clam or seafood flavor. It's plain delish. The recipe comes from the Woman's Day magazine. You should man up and try it.
Makes 4 servings.
Calories per serving: 273
Total prep and cook time: 32 minutes
- 3/4 lb red potatoes, cut into bite size chunks
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 (6.5 oz) cans of chopped clams
- 1 (10.75 oz) can of cream of celery soup
- 1 c milk
- hot sauce (optional)
Feel free to skip past the picture demonstration to get straight to the listed directions.
Place the potatoes in a large bowl and cover completely with water. Microwave for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile cook the remaining ingredients. Add the bacon and onion to a large saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until bacon is cooked through. Please excuse my incredibly artificial looking bacon. I'm a turkey bacon user. Add the garlic and thyme and stir for 1 minute.
Next add the clam juice (reserving the clams), potatoes, 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid from the potatoes, soup, and milk to the saucepan. Whisk until combined and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the clams and cook for 2 more minutes.
Ladle the hot chowder into bowls and serve with a slice of crusty bread. Shake some hot sauce over the bowl of chowder, if desired.
1) Place the potatoes in a large bowl and cover with water. Microwave for 10 minutes or
2) In a large saucepan, cook the bacon and onion over medium-high heat until bacon is
cooked through. Add the garlic and thyme to the saucepan. Cook and stir constantly for 1
3) Add the clam juice to the saucepan, reserving the clams. Add the potatoes, 3/4 c of the
cooking liquid from the bowl of potatoes, the soup, and milk. Whisk to combine and bring
to a boil.
4)Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the clams and cook for 2 minutes.
Serve with hot sauce, if desired.