I made these on Valentine’s Day, but they would be good to make on any occasion. I used my favorite strawberry cake recipe and made them in a mini-muffin pan so they would be cute and poppable. I think these would be good for a party or gathering because of their size. You can also use a 13x9 inch baking dish or two round pans instead when you make the cake. Anyway, this cake is very very good and very strawberry-y. Very.
Makes 55 mini cupcakes.
Bake time: 18-25 minutes
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 c frozen strawberries, divided (you will need 1/2 c frozen and 1/2 c thawed)
- 4 eggs
- 1 small box (3 oz) of strawberry jello
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 1 box (3 3/4 c) of powdered sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 c) of butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
Feel free to skip past the picture demonstration to get straight to the listed directions.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray your pan of choice with non-stick cooking spray.
Add the box of white cake mix, 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries, and the eggs to a large bowl and mix until combined. I cut my frozen strawberries in half to help with the blending process.
Empty the jello box contents into 1/2 cup of boiling water and stir until dissolved.
Add the jello/water mixture to the cake batter and stir until combined.
Use an ice cream scoop or spoon to place the batter into each mini-muffin cup. Bake for 18-25 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.
While the cake bites are baking you can whip up the frosting. Puree the 1/2 of thawed strawberries. Then place the powdered sugar, softened butter and cream cheese, and pureed strawberries in a large bowl and mix until smooth. Add pink food coloring to the frosting if you would like to increase the pink color. Cover and refrigerate the frosting until ready to use.
Remove the cake bites from the oven and allow them to cool completely. Frost and decorate each cake bite once cool.
I decorated mine with conversational hearts and sprinkles since it was Valentine's Day.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini-muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Dissolve jello in boiling water. Mix well with cake mix, 1/2 c of the frozen strawberries, and the eggs. Use a ice cream scoop or spoon to fill each mini-muffin cup. Bake for 18-25 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Make the icing while the cake bites are baking. Puree the thawed 1/2 c of strawberries. Mix the powdered sugar, softened butter and cream cheese, and the pureed strawberries together until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove the cake bites from the oven and allow to cool completely. Frost and and decorate, if desired.
- If you don't have a mini-muffin pan, feel free to use one of the following: 13x9 inch baking dish, two 8 or 9 inch round pans, bundt cake pan, standard cupcake pan, or two 8 or 9 inch square baking dishes.
- Decorate with sprinkles or small candies
- Cover and refrigerate any remaining batter and use the next day if you don't feel like making 55 mini-cupcakes in one day.