Sometimes I get on healthy kicks and now is one of those times. I've been searching the internet the past few days for healthy, low calorie meals. Here's one! I found it on PW's website, believe it or not. This is a very veggie filled meal. It's light, fresh, and delicious. It's a perfect, colorful meal to fix during the Spring or Summer. And it alllll takes less than 30 minutes to throw together.
Makes 2 large servings.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
- 12 whole jumbo shrimp (peeled, devained, tails left on) I bought some pre-cooked ones
- 2 whole zucchini
- 2 fresh ears of corn
- 1/2 c grape tomatoes
- 1/2 lemon
- chopped fresh herbs, if desired (I used fresh parsley)
- 2 T butter (I used spray butter)
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
Feel free to skip past the picture demonstration to get straight to the listed directions.
Start by chopping up those veggies. If you buy frozen shrimp, place them in a small bowl and set aside as you are slicing the vegetables.
Slice two small, thin zucchini at a slight diagonal into bite size pieces. Set aside. Don't be like me and buy two cucumber for this recipe, and then make a second trip to the grocery store in the middle of your veggie slicing. I now know that cucumber have bumps on the outside, are bigger, have seeds, and smell strongly of cucumber. Zucchini are smaller, thinner, located by the squash, and have butts on the end :) See there? I hope I helped someone.
Slice the kernels off the fresh ears of corn. Set aside. Slice the grape tomatoes in half lengthwise. Chop up some fresh herbs if you are using them. I bought freshly parsley to use, but totally forgot to use it :(
Heat 1 T of butter and 1 T of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. I used spray butter here. Add the minced garlic to the pan. When the butter and oil is hot, add the shrimp. Cook the shrimp for 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp and cooking liquid to a plate or bowl. Do not clean the skillet.
Heat the remaining 1 T of butter and 1 T of olive oil in the skillet. Add the sliced zucchini to the skillet in a single layer. Cook for 1 minute, tossing once.
Slide the zucchini to the outer edges of the skillet. Add the corn kernels to the center of the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Stir to combine.
Add the sliced tomatoes and chopped herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Toss around to combine.
Add the shrimp including any cooking liquid from the plate or bowl.
Squeeze the juice from 1/2 a lemon over the mixture. Season with more salt and pepper. Stir to combine. This can be served alone or served over rice or pasta.
- Place shrimp in a small bowl and set aside while you are slicing the vegetables. Slice the zucchini into slightly diagonal pieces. Slice the kernels off of two fresh ears of corn. Slice the grape tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Heat 1 T of butter and 1 T olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic. When the butter and oil is hot, add the shrimp. Cook for 3 minutes. Remove shrimp and cooking liquid to a bowl or plate. Do not clean the skillet.
- Heat the remaining 1 T of butter and 1 T of olive oil in the skillet. Add the zucchini slices in a single layer to the skillet. Cook for 1 minute, tossing once. Scoot the zucchini slices to the edges of the skillet. Add the corn kernels to the center of the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Add the sliced tomatoes, salt, pepper, and chopped herbs if you are using any. Toss to combine.
- Add the shrimp and cooking liquid back to the skillet. Cook for 30 more seconds. Remove from heat. Serve alone or serve over rice or pasta.
- Substitute cooked cubed chicken for the shrimp.
- Add more vegetables to the stir fry (mushrooms, squash, etc)