I used to be anti-guacamole. I think it's because I had never tried any homemade. Only the pureed version in Mexican restaurants. But my fave gal pal Katie used to force me to eat foreign food items all the time when we lived together, and this was one of them. She used to make it pretty frequently when we lived together, and now I make my own :) I've made it lots of different ways, but this version is by far my favorite.
I used PW's version, of course, and it's great. It's basically just a mixture of pico de gallo and mashed avocados. So good. And so easy to make.
Make 4 servings.
- 1/4-1/2 large onion, chopped (I used white)
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 whole Roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2-2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 lime
- 2 avocados
Feel free to skip through the picture demonstration to get straight to the listed directions.
Add chopped onion, tomatoes, and cilantro to a serving bowl
Cut the stems off of each jalapeno pepper. Chop them up, seeds and all, and add to the serving bowl. *If you are chopping them by hand, be sure to wear gloves. If your fingers make contact with the seeds they will burn for hours :( I found that out the hard way.
Slice each avocado lengthwise and remove the pits. Place onto a large plate.
Using the bottom of a drinking glass or fork, mash up the avocados, leaving it a little chunky. Season with salt to taste. This is the first time I've ever mashed avocados with a drinking glass. I found it to be quicker and easier than using a fork.
Add mashed avocado to the serving bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the top. Stir gently to combine.
Add more of the ingredients if necessary to get it to your desired preference.
- Place chopped onion, cilantro, and tomatoes into a serving bowl.
- Remove the stems from the jalapeno peppers. Chop the rest up (seeds and all) and add it to the bowl. *Be sure to wear gloves if you are doing this by hand.*
- Halve the avocados lengthwise with a knife and remove the pit. Scrape the avocado meat onto a plate. Use the bottom of a drinking glass or fork to mash the avocados, leaving it a little chunky. Add salt to taste.
- Add the mashed avocado meat to the serving bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the top. Stir gently to combine.
- Serve with some yummy tortilla chips!
- Place a dollop over any Mexican dish.
- Put some on a delicious hamburger.