I made this Valentine's Day night to go along with some enchiladas. The recipe is from the Pioneer Woman's website. It was very quick and easy to whip up! You should make it.
Makes 8 servings.
Total prep and cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 T of canola oil (I used olive oil because I had no canola)
- 1/2 whole large onion, chopped (I used white)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 c dry long grain rice (I used basmati)
- 1 10 oz can Rotel
- 1 14.5 oz can OR 1 3/4 c freshly diced tomatoes
- 2 c or more of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cilantro, chopped
Feel free to skip through the picture demonstration to get straight to the listed directions.
Start by heating oil in a large skillet. Add the chopped onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add the uncooked rice and garlic. Stir constantly for 3 minutes.
Add the Rotel and diced tomatoes, juice and all. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Add chicken broth, cumin, and kosher salt. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add garlic and uncooked rice. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add Rotel and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, cumin, and kosher salt. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish with chopped cilantro.